Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Musings...

A little while ago, someone urged me to reveal things about myself.

After pondering this for a couple of months, I've decided I don't want to do that. The reason I don't want to do that is I no longer have a past -- nothing to tell.

I've pretty much always been a person who really doesn't talk much about myself. I've even been accused of not talking about myself because I don't give a rat's pe-tootie about hearing other people's tales. I didn't need to reveal anything to those folks, they had me down pat. I'm not easily entertained by the nuances of other people's lives in the past. Sure, it can be interesting to hear how someone went from rags to riches, or how a person paid off that $150,000 of college loans in a mere two years, or how someone taught their cat to jump through hoops of fire. What I'm interested in is how that has affected who they are now. . .and I don't want them to tell me, I want to figure it out for myself.

I'll grant you that where I have been has had an influence on who I am now. However, does it matter that I grew up poor as a church mouse; that I used to be slim; that I used to have friends I don't have anymore; or had long hair? No, it doesn't matter at all.

What matters is who I am NOW, what influences me NOW and how I respond to current situations.

If you want to know something about me, you've got to talk to me in the present, not the past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home